Old 28-09-2003, 02:25 AM
lois

Default Bahia grass & irrigation

If you have neighbors, put in the same grass they have. Here in Fla,
the grasses are invasive- they spread by running and some by seeding
too, as mentioned. Roots are shallow compared to northern roots.

Homeowner associations are common here and most have a grass variety
requirement.

St Augustene is my preference - for appearance year round. But it only
comes in sod. It has no seeds and if any show up, they are sterile.

Cut southern grasses at 4-6" [buy bigger wheel for your mower]

Believe me, no matter what, the in-ground sprinkler system is an
essential; tap water costs are high and there is much discussion about
limiting using it on lawns
[suggested fines would more than pay for the system in the long run].
The heads need adjusting periodically for coverage and should be
protected by concrete 'donuts'

While we have lots of inches of rain per year, there are long dry
spells

If you are on sand. it dries out quickly.

Your county extension service can give you info on when to fert, etc
etc. Its a very different plant world, but so beautiful