Old 28-09-2003, 03:33 AM

Default Hhow best to estabilish a new lawn at this late date?

Fall is a great time to seed/re-seed, so if you get off your butt and
get hopping, there's no reason why you couldn't have a nice start
before the really cold weather sets in. Just forget about Kentucky
Bluegrass as in all my experience, it doesn't germinate fast enough.
Stick with a good Fescue/Rye mix. You could spend the big bucks and
put down sod... hehehehehe. You could also hydroseed. The trick here
is to get it down quick, keep it damp but don't wash it away. Do not
leave seed on the surface if that's the way you go... rake it in and
get the seed just under the topsoil. Straw will keep the surface true
and prevent some washout. Sprinkler system will help.

We expect that by Halloween you'll be reporting back about how nice it
looks!

Mike

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:54:09 -0400, "JMac"
wrote:

Please excuse this newbie question.

I'm having a home built in mid Michigan and the final grade was just done. I
do not want to suffer through the fall and winter with a muddy yard (I've
got a big dog and 3 young children). Is there anything I can plant now that
will hold the soil in place and act as a nutrient in the spring when I plan
on putting in my lawn & garden?

Seems that once I heard of growing alfalfa and plowing it under in the
spring, that this would supply the soil with a good nutrients and be a good
source from which to plant grass.

I'm running out of time and am desperate to get something in that will hold
the soil in place (I've got some slopes that I don't want to erode).

Does any body have a suggestion that might take root yet this year, not look
to ugly through the winter and create a positive base from which to build my
lawn on in the spring? (I know that's asking a lot)

Any help, ideas, urls are welcome!!