Old 28-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Default groundcover recommendation?

Actually, there is a photo of the Wedelia in the ad...it has cute yellow
flowers.

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
In today's paper (I'm in Corpus Christi), there is an ad for Water-Wise
plants, including these ground covers:
Trailing Lantana (Lantana montevidensis)
Prostrate Rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis 'prostrata')
Blue Shade Ruellia (Ruellia cardiniensis)
Purple Heart (Setcreasea purpura)
Asian Jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)
Wedelia (Wedelia trilobata)

I have no idea what any of them looks like, except the Asian Jasmine.

Also, I couldn't tell from your description whether you currently have

Asian
Jasmine in that space. Be prepared to keep watch and pull new shoots of

it
for a long time if you're replacing it with something else.

"Steve Ravet" wrote in message
I'm looking for a groundcover for the grassy (weedy) strip between the
street and sidewalk. I want to fill the whole thing, 4 ft x 50 ft.
It's in the sun all day, and doesn't get any water besides the rain.
Asian Jasmine is nearly perfect: It's evergreen, fills in well, doesn't
need much edging, and doesn't need watering. It's downsides are that it
grows a little too high, resulting in a vertical brown edge where it's
trimmed, and you see it everywhere. I'd like something not so common,
and some blooming color would be nice. I've seen recommendations for
these:

Vinca Major
Frog Fruit
Snake Herb

Can someone comment on their habit as compared to asian jasmine, or
suggest something else with similar qualities?

thanks,
--steve