Old 28-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Steve Ravet

Default groundcover recommendation?

I'm looking for a groundcover for the grassy (weedy) strip between the
street and sidewalk. I want to fill the whole thing, 4 ft x 50 ft.
It's in the sun all day, and doesn't get any water besides the rain.
Asian Jasmine is nearly perfect: It's evergreen, fills in well, doesn't
need much edging, and doesn't need watering. It's downsides are that it
grows a little too high, resulting in a vertical brown edge where it's
trimmed, and you see it everywhere. I'd like something not so common,
and some blooming color would be nice. I've seen recommendations for
these:

Vinca Major
Frog Fruit
Snake Herb

Can someone comment on their habit as compared to asian jasmine, or
suggest something else with similar qualities?

thanks,
--steve
Old 28-09-2003, 07:02 PM
animaux

Verbena 'Homestead' is a nice ground cover and will be partially evergreen and
flower spring through fall if you do some minimal pruning to keep it in check.

Personally, I have a long strip of Gaura lindheimerii in the strip. It blooms
like crazy, then I deadhead the whole thing, in two weeks it's back blooming
again, and again all summer till frost, and in mild winters, stays there and
blooms.

You can also do yed yucca, but it's not small, it gets rather large, but never
needs anything.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:53:03 GMT, Steve Ravet opined:

Old 28-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

In today's paper (I'm in Corpus Christi), there is an ad for Water-Wise
plants, including these ground covers:
Trailing Lantana (Lantana montevidensis)
Prostrate Rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis 'prostrata')
Blue Shade Ruellia (Ruellia cardiniensis)
Purple Heart (Setcreasea purpura)
Asian Jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)
Wedelia (Wedelia trilobata)

I have no idea what any of them looks like, except the Asian Jasmine.

Also, I couldn't tell from your description whether you currently have Asian
Jasmine in that space. Be prepared to keep watch and pull new shoots of it
for a long time if you're replacing it with something else.

Old 28-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Red

Might take a look at Horse Herb. It can be kept at most any height up to
6-8 inches. Pretty much evergreen except after a really hard freeze.

Old 28-09-2003, 09:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata)
http://birding.about.com/gi/dynamic/...//www.streets=
ide.com/plants/floridata/ref/b/bignon%5Fc.htm
This vine is mostly grown upright and it also makes an awesome
groundcover.

Steve Ravet wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Steve Ravet

Sew-Sew Lady wrote:
Also, I couldn't tell from your description whether you currently have Asian
Jasmine in that space. Be prepared to keep watch and pull new shoots of it
for a long time if you're replacing it with something else.

I have a "bed" there now that has turned out very poorly. There's no
curb, just a concrete apron (!?), so when it rains all the dirt and weed
seeds get washed from the road into the bed. So I'm going simple --
thick ground cover and some taller things (yucca and crepe myrtle
currently). There is some asian jasmine there now as part of the bed
but I don't think I want it all asian jasmine.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look up some pictures of them.

--steve

Old 29-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Terry Horton

wrote:

I'm looking for a groundcover for the grassy (weedy) strip between the
street and sidewalk. I want to fill the whole thing, 4 ft x 50 ft.
It's in the sun all day, and doesn't get any water besides the rain.
Asian Jasmine is nearly perfect: It's evergreen, fills in well, doesn't
need much edging, and doesn't need watering. It's downsides are that it
grows a little too high, resulting in a vertical brown edge where it's
trimmed, and you see it everywhere. I'd like something not so common,
and some blooming color would be nice. I've seen recommendations for
these:

Vinca Major
Frog Fruit
Snake Herb

Can someone comment on their habit as compared to asian jasmine, or
suggest something else with similar qualities?

Snake herb works well for me. Wildflower Center has a simple little
bed using it, just to the left of the pool int he courtyard.