Old 29-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Kirra

Default Granada, bare root vs potted, and DD

"Shiva" wrote in message

I'm getting more disappointed that mine died!

Did you tell what happened to yours? If so, I missed it. Did it die as
a bare root?

I bought it bare-root/potted. Sounds strange but a local nursery buys in
bare-root roses and pots them up straight away. They say that way the
bare-roots don't dry out and already have a head start when you buy them.
Granada had one existing cane and several nice shoots already starting to
grow (some basal breaks) . I took it home and left it in the pot to keep
growing roots before planting it into a bigger pot.

About a month later all the shoots from the cane or from the graft started
to wilt over. I thought maybe I had let it dry out a little bit but even
with water it did not perk up at all. It just kept wilting further until it
eventually died and went brown. None of the other pots showed any signs of
problems so now I'm wondering if maybe it was a problem with the graft or
with that particular rose.

A collegue at work brings a
selection of her roses in each week and we stand around discussing them.

Sounds like a fun way to start the day. I take mine in and people give
me strange looks because I know the names of all of them. They are
what I like to call "red rose, pink rose" people, because usually that
is all they know about their roses if they have any.

That's no fun ... half the fun is working out which rose is which! "No, no
that can't be champanger because it is white. Champagner is cream. Ooh that
one smells nice, which one is that?"

Today she had a Granada and it is the first time that I have seen one

"live
and in person". Those colours and that fragrance just rubbed it in that
Granada was my only rose to croak. The instant I see one for sale, I am
buying it!

Me too. Potted, nice and big, so it will produce lots of blooms next
year before the voles get it!

We are going out to a farm in two weeks time to get lucerne hay and it just
happens to be very near a rose farm. I'm hoping that they have Granada there
(and they only sell potted roses).