Old 29-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Budget Chainsaw recommendations

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
I am in the process of cutting down a number of Leyllandi. So far I have
been going up a ladder and thinning out the trees by cutting down branches
using a bow saw and a lopper. So far this has worked well and I am happy

continue this process to fell the trees.

My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood. I do not
fancy and do not really have the time to cut up all the branches and

trunks
to lengths of 10" using a bow saw. There are 20+ trunks of over 40 foot

with
a max thinkness of about 12". Also several hundred branches.

My thoughts where to buy a 14" electric chain saw to cut up the trees once
felled. I have seen DIY superstore own brand chainsaws for around £60, a
McCulloch for £80 and a Bosch for £100. Considering the time it would save
me I think it woth the money.

Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

Eric.

I have a Bosch that cost about £100, its not really man enough for cutting
through 12", but anything up to about 8" is a breeze. My advice would be to
look around and buy one where spares(esp chains) are also easy to get, spare
bosch chains are v difficult to come by where I live, none of the usual DIY
places stock them but they do mcculloch. You need a spare because if you hit
anything hard, the chain blunts in an instant.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)