Old 29-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Terry Horton

Default groundcover recommendation?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:53:03 GMT, Steve Ravet
wrote:

I'm looking for a groundcover for the grassy (weedy) strip between the
street and sidewalk. I want to fill the whole thing, 4 ft x 50 ft.
It's in the sun all day, and doesn't get any water besides the rain.
Asian Jasmine is nearly perfect: It's evergreen, fills in well, doesn't
need much edging, and doesn't need watering. It's downsides are that it
grows a little too high, resulting in a vertical brown edge where it's
trimmed, and you see it everywhere. I'd like something not so common,
and some blooming color would be nice. I've seen recommendations for
these:

Vinca Major
Frog Fruit
Snake Herb

Can someone comment on their habit as compared to asian jasmine, or
suggest something else with similar qualities?

Snake herb works well for me. Wildflower Center has a simple little
bed using it, just to the left of the pool int he courtyard.