Old 29-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Dinky

Default Gravel Vac Question

"rapdor" wrote in message
My 4' tank has been established for nearly 5 weeks now and has cycled
nicely. The water is superbly clear and the parameters AOK. But the

plants
are poor, straggly things which dont seem to be growing roots properly,
dammit. The substrate is quite fine gravel. I believe my lighting is

ample
and I've been adding plant fertilizer daily. Having googled the symptoms

it
seems I need to increase my light time so I've now done that. But in the
course of googling I now think I may be being a bit too enthusiastic with
the gravel vac during my at least weekly 25% water changes. I've been
pushing it right to the bottom of the gravel and delighting in all the

yuck
that comes up. Maybe I'm going too deep and robbing the plants of the
nutrients. Waddyathink? What advice would you give me? Thanks.

Saying "lighting is ample" and "parameters AOK" doesn't give us enough info
to help you. Something wrong with your lighting or water is much more likely
to be the problem than overzealous vacuuming. Please post a little more
info, such as Ammonia, ph, nitrite, Nitrate, kh, gh, watts of light,
duration of light, type of plants, # and type of fish, type of filtration,
all this info will help.