Old 29-09-2003, 12:31 PM
rapdor

Default Gravel Vac Question

My 4' tank has been established for nearly 5 weeks now and has cycled
nicely. The water is superbly clear and the parameters AOK. But the plants
are poor, straggly things which dont seem to be growing roots properly,
dammit. The substrate is quite fine gravel. I believe my lighting is ample
and I've been adding plant fertilizer daily. Having googled the symptoms it
seems I need to increase my light time so I've now done that. But in the
course of googling I now think I may be being a bit too enthusiastic with
the gravel vac during my at least weekly 25% water changes. I've been
pushing it right to the bottom of the gravel and delighting in all the yuck
that comes up. Maybe I'm going too deep and robbing the plants of the
nutrients. Waddyathink? What advice would you give me? Thanks.

Old 29-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Dinky

"rapdor" wrote in message
[...]

Saying "lighting is ample" and "parameters AOK" doesn't give us enough info
to help you. Something wrong with your lighting or water is much more likely
to be the problem than overzealous vacuuming. Please post a little more
info, such as Ammonia, ph, nitrite, Nitrate, kh, gh, watts of light,
duration of light, type of plants, # and type of fish, type of filtration,
all this info will help.

Old 29-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

...and CO2 levels.

BTW - you don't need to gravel vac in a planted aquarium. Just suck the
mulm off the surface.

Old 29-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Ed

IMHO - The only good use of a Gravel vac in a planted aquarium is as a
reactor tube.

Ed

Old 30-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Dinky

"Ghazanfar Ghori" wrote in message
et...

BTW - you don't need to gravel vac in a planted aquarium. Just suck the
mulm off the surface.

IME, if there are any open areas where the plants root systems do not reach,
the mulm will still build up and eventually cause problems. If you have
solid plants from one end to the other, I'd agree with your statement.

billy

Old 30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
rapdor

"Dinky" wrote in message

"rapdor" wrote in message
[...]

OK, here is the other info, and thanks for your interest:

--pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.3, GH 120, KH 80, Nitrite 0.0, dont't have CO2
--light increased yesterday from 10 to 11 hours
--tubes are 1 x Corallife Color Max 30w, 1 x Corallife Actinic Blue 10,000K,
30w and 1 x Corallife Superdaylight 10,000k, 30w
--although its a 4' tank the tubes are 3', which is why I chose 10.000K
--filter is a trickle filter incorporated into the hood; it consists of a
pad about 3" x 15" and a similar area of ceramic noodles
--fish are juvenile, and include 4 corys, 3 bristlenose catfish, 5 glass
catfish, 4 dwarf gouramis, 2 blue gouramis, 5 platties, 4 zebra danios, 8
green barbs, 2 kuhli loaches, 4 apple snails
--plants include lilaeopsis, hemigraphis exotica, elodea densa,
alternanthera, , java moss, anubias, acorus gramineus, cabomba caroliniana
(i think); i know its not an exciting list, that's because I need to learn
how to care for plants before spending serious money on them
--it't mainly the elodea and cabomba that are the most disappointing

Any pointers as to what is wrong, or what I am doing wrong will be
gratefully received.

Old 18-10-2003, 04:42 PM
SlimFlem

I use a Python for water changes and I only use the gravel vac piece to
lightly and easily clean 2 sections of the bottom where there are no plants
to remove buildup of crud. I never go deeper than 3 or 4 gravel pellets and
mainly I'm doing it to remove surface scum and that's it. I never use the
gravel vac in any other fashion.

IMO, you are overly using your gravel vac.

OAN, when filling your tank using the Python, submerge the gravel vac piece
and fill it with water....now when you open the valve all the way, it
doesn't create a whirlpool in your tank.

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Pond Vac II question Pinkpggy Ponds 7 25-07-2004 09:02 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Garden Vac Question Jim Donald United Kingdom 5 28-04-2003 04:32 PM
Garden Vac Question Jim Donald Lawns 0 22-04-2003 03:56 AM