Old 29-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Sowing seeds in autumn without a greenhouse

'Lorna',

Your questions answered.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Lorna" wrote in message
A novice query, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Full of enthusiasm, we recently sowed some sweet pea seeds in one of

those
seed propagator-things, with the clear plastic top (outdoors). We

vaguely
thought they'd grow an inch or two during autumn and winter, then perk

up
ready to be planted out in spring. However, they're now 5 inches tall

and
growing steadily.

Will they keep growing all winter?

No, they will slow down as the weather gets colder.
Snip the tops off so that they are only about 3" tall.

Should we bring them inside? (with or without propagator?)

No. Gradually harden them off and place them in a coldframe when the
weather gets much colder.

Should we just leave them alone and let them completely fill the

propagator?

Definitely not a good idea.

Would a cold frame be helpful?

Yes, when the weather gets much colder.