Old 29-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Lorna

Default Sowing seeds in autumn without a greenhouse

A novice query, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Full of enthusiasm, we recently sowed some sweet pea seeds in one of those
seed propagator-things, with the clear plastic top (outdoors). We vaguely
thought they'd grow an inch or two during autumn and winter, then perk up
ready to be planted out in spring. However, they're now 5 inches tall and
growing steadily.

Will they keep growing all winter?
Should we bring them inside? (with or without propagator?)
Should we just leave them alone and let them completely fill the propagator?
Would a cold frame be helpful?

Cheers!
Lorna

Old 29-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Emrys Davies

'Lorna',

Your questions answered.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Lorna" wrote in message
A novice query, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Full of enthusiasm, we recently sowed some sweet pea seeds in one of

those
seed propagator-things, with the clear plastic top (outdoors). We

vaguely
thought they'd grow an inch or two during autumn and winter, then perk

up
ready to be planted out in spring. However, they're now 5 inches tall

and
growing steadily.

Will they keep growing all winter?

No, they will slow down as the weather gets colder.
Snip the tops off so that they are only about 3" tall.

Should we bring them inside? (with or without propagator?)

No. Gradually harden them off and place them in a coldframe when the
weather gets much colder.

Should we just leave them alone and let them completely fill the

propagator?

Definitely not a good idea.

Would a cold frame be helpful?

Yes, when the weather gets much colder.

Cheers!
Lorna

Old 01-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Robert

: A novice query, so thanks in advance for any advice.
:
: Full of enthusiasm, we recently sowed some sweet pea seeds in one of
: those seed propagator-things, with the clear plastic top (outdoors).
: We vaguely thought they'd grow an inch or two during autumn and
: winter, then perk up ready to be planted out in spring. However,
: they're now 5 inches tall and growing steadily.
:
: Will they keep growing all winter?
: Should we bring them inside? (with or without propagator?)
: Should we just leave them alone and let them completely fill the
: propagator? Would a cold frame be helpful?
:
: Cheers!
: Lorna

I would say you planted them slightly too early but they should be ok if you
keep them sheltered from strong winds. I don't know where you are but here
in Plymouth I leave them out all winter unless we get a severe frost (not
very likely here). With planting them so early you will have to be careful
planting them out as they will sprawl around a bit. The main rule for sweet
peas is not to molly coddle them but don't forget to water as even in Winter
those little containers can dry out. I expect I am telling you how to suck
eggs but don't forget to pinch out the top shoot when you have a couple
pairs of leaves, to encourage the side shoots which will bear the flowers