Old 29-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Philip

Default Budget Chainsaw recommendations

"Eric the Red" wrote in message ...
I am in the process of cutting down a number of Leyllandi.
[SNIP]
My problem is my mother has decided she would like the firewood.
[SNIP]
Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

As stated by a previous poster I am not certain that these logs will
burn very well. A fact supported by this little poem:

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year
Chestnut only good they say
If for long it's laid away
Make a fire of elder tree
Death within your house will be
But ash new or ash old
Is fit for a Queen with a crown of gold
Birch and Fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last
It is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread
Elmwood burns like churchyard mould
Even the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a Queen with a golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke
Fills your eyes and makes you choke
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense-like perfume
Oaken logs, if dry and old
Keep away the winters cold
But ash wet or ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Lastly under the all encompassing heading of Pine I note :

"Burns well when seasoned, but tends to spit, so it's best in a stove.
All resinous woods makes good kindling. They also tend to leave an
oily soot in the chimney. The smell of a pine fire can be a feast for
the olfactory senses."

I kept a branch from a Leylandii type tree for two years before taking
it to the tip. It was still as 'green' and full of resin on the day
I checked it as it was on the day I cut it. So I would guess she is
looking at a 5 year timescale before these logs will 'season'
naturaly.