Old 29-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Winter protection for "baby" trees

Well, I tried some air layers and cuttings this summer and now have a number
of propogated plants that will be seeing their first winter. A couple
didn't actually develop roots until very recently and one of my air layers I
thought was dead is now sending out new leaves (buds are just now popping).
Anything I can do to increase the survival chances for these "babies?" I
have kingsville boxwood cuttings, trident maple cuttings, a Japanes maple
air layer and two JH Elm air layers. On a somewhat similar note, I have a
whole bunch of Serrisa cuttings that are doing really well and I'm wondering
if they will behave as Ficus or Trident Maple if planted so that the trunks
are touching - will they eventually "graft" together and form a single
larger trunk?

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39