Old 29-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Winter protection for "baby" trees

At 11:11 AM 9/29/03 -0400, Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL) wrote:
Well, I tried some air layers and cuttings this summer and now have a number
of propogated plants that will be seeing their first winter. A couple
didn't actually develop roots until very recently and one of my air layers I
thought was dead is now sending out new leaves (buds are just now popping).
Anything I can do to increase the survival chances for these "babies?" I
have kingsville boxwood cuttings, trident maple cuttings, a Japanes maple
air layer and two JH Elm air layers. ...

Jeff

The best thing you can do for newly rooted cuttings and airlayers is to
keep the temperatures between 28F and 40F all winter long. The new roots
are very succulent and extremely sensitive to freezing temperatures until
they lignify. Since their normal growing season was interrupted, they will
continue to grow long past the time other plants enter dormancy. This also
exacerbates the freezing problem. By keeping them in the range above, they
will slowly go dormant before spring on their own schedule and can safely
keep growing roots, albeit slowly (on warm days when the temp does get
above 50F). Keep them in good light until they go dormant. I know this can
be hard to achieve, but years of experience with freeze killed cuttings has
convinced me that this is the only way to proceed. Acer species are
particularly susceptible to killing root freezes.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++