Old 29-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Winter protection for "baby" trees

Are the layers still attached? It's a bit late to remove them (I
think). But if you do, treat them like your cuttings and give
bottom heat over the winter.
--------------------------------------SNIP---------------------------
Thanks to both Jim and Brent. The air layers were separated not quite a
month ago. I learned quite a bit by this first experience with air
layering, by the way, and will not be so worrried in the future. However,
due to some problems with my technique, there were pretty sparse living
roots when I completed the separation. Thus, my surprise that the one even
survived! Question, though, on the responses: is the bottom heat
over-and-above maintaining the 28-40 temp or a method for maintaining that
temp range?

Thanks again,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39