Old 30-09-2003, 03:07 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Sarsasparilla Tree Question

Congratulations! This is one of those all around trees (Redbay, Retama)
that look good in the environment and attract wildlife. This tree hosts
Palamedes, Spicebush and Tiger Swallowtail butterflies. You will enjoy
the tree and butterflies for years to come.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...frasalbidum.h=
tm

I'd allow 20 foot centers and plant no deeper than they were in the
container. The tree historically remains a shrub or small tree for a
long time and then the hormones kick in and it goes upwards. (page
174-175, Butterfly Gardening for the South by Geyata Ajilvsgi)

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com, zone 8b-9a

Shell91 wrote:
=

Hi
I will be planting 4 Sarsasparilla trees in my front yard this November=

=2E
They are not very big and I want them to do well. How far appart and h=

ow
deep do I need to plant them? They will be going in a full sun area wh=

ere a
mimosa tree used to be and I will have to dig out the grass and fence t=

he
spot to keep the lawn guys from mowing them down. Also does anyone kno=

w how
well these trees will do in zone 9, southeast Texas?
Thanks for any advice and help
Shell

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP