Old 30-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Bill Nunnery

Default Best time to plant grass in NC

I live in Cary, NC. You probably will plant a variety of fescue so expect
to reseed almost every year. Fescue is not drought tolerant and is therefore
marginal in this area. The lawn care service people love it as it affords
them a guaranteed income. I finally gave up on fescue 2 years ago and
installed a sprinkler system and put down Tifway 419 Bermuda sod. At least
the Bermuda spreads and chokes out the weeds and is drought tolerant. It
does have its problems as well such as growing dormant in November through
March but I like it better than fescue.

"M. Osborn" wrote in message
et...
We've just moved into a new house in the Charlotte, NC area, and I'm
wondering when the best time to plant fescue grass in this area would be?
Although I know fall is the best time, does anyone have any date(s) more
specific than that? A lawn maint. company guy I talked with yesterday

told
me that early September is the best time, but it seems to me that it might
still be too hot then. Any suggestions?