Old 21-08-2003, 01:02 PM
M. Osborn

Default Best time to plant grass in NC

We've just moved into a new house in the Charlotte, NC area, and I'm
wondering when the best time to plant fescue grass in this area would be?
Although I know fall is the best time, does anyone have any date(s) more
specific than that? A lawn maint. company guy I talked with yesterday told
me that early September is the best time, but it seems to me that it might
still be too hot then. Any suggestions?

Old 21-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Chet Hayes

I'd say early sept thru early oct is optimal. You can also look at
the weather forecast and if it looks like it will be cool and wet
coming up, then go for it.

Just remember if you're killing your old lawn, don't wait too long.
The effectiveness of Roundup greatly decreases as temperatures drop.

Old 22-08-2003, 01:12 AM

"M. Osborn" wrote:
We've just moved into a new house in the Charlotte, NC area, and I'm
wondering when the best time to plant fescue grass in this area would be?
Although I know fall is the best time, does anyone have any date(s) more
specific than that? A lawn maint. company guy I talked with yesterday
told me that early September is the best time, but it seems to me that it
might still be too hot then. Any suggestions?

It's relative to your soil temp. Do it as soon as the weather
is going to cool for a while. Early September is usually great here
in Ohio, but you are quite a bit south of me.

--
GO #40 The Chuggernaught
Old 22-08-2003, 01:42 AM
M. Osborn

Thanks....I guess there really is no peak period, then, as it all depends on
the weather conditions. We only just moved here, so I don't have any
experience with the weather to know, so I'll just go ahead and try to get
some grass growing around mid-September.

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
| I'd say early sept thru early oct is optimal. You can also look at
| the weather forecast and if it looks like it will be cool and wet
| coming up, then go for it.
|
| Just remember if you're killing your old lawn, don't wait too long.
| The effectiveness of Roundup greatly decreases as temperatures drop.

. net...

Old 22-08-2003, 01:42 AM
M. Osborn

LOL..we've had so much rain this summer, Murphy's Law says it will be dry as
a bone, starting the day I put my grass seed down.

Old 22-08-2003, 02:42 AM

wrote in message
| "M. Osborn" wrote:
| We've just moved into a new house in the Charlotte, NC area, and I'm
| wondering when the best time to plant fescue grass in this area would
be?
| Although I know fall is the best time, does anyone have any date(s)
| more specific than that? A lawn maint. company guy I talked with
| yesterday told me that early September is the best time, but it seems
| to me that
it
| might still be too hot then. Any suggestions?
|
| It's relative to your soil temp. Do it as soon as the weather
| is going to cool for a while. Early September is usually great here
| in Ohio, but you are quite a bit south of me.

LOL..we've had so much rain this summer, Murphy's Law says it will be dry
as a bone, starting the day I put my grass seed down.

Sure as hell..Is it too big for sprinklers?

--
GO #40 The Chuggernaught
Old 22-08-2003, 12:12 PM
M. Osborn

| |
| LOL..we've had so much rain this summer, Murphy's Law says it will be
dry
| as a bone, starting the day I put my grass seed down.
|
| Sure as hell..Is it too big for sprinklers?
|
| --

A good portion of the lawn is located 200' from the hose spigot. What I'll
probably do is concentrate on the front/sides this fall, as it's too much
lawn to try and keep ALL of it wet while the grass seed germinates.

Old 30-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Bill Nunnery

I live in Cary, NC. You probably will plant a variety of fescue so expect
to reseed almost every year. Fescue is not drought tolerant and is therefore
marginal in this area. The lawn care service people love it as it affords
them a guaranteed income. I finally gave up on fescue 2 years ago and
installed a sprinkler system and put down Tifway 419 Bermuda sod. At least
the Bermuda spreads and chokes out the weeds and is drought tolerant. It
does have its problems as well such as growing dormant in November through
March but I like it better than fescue.

et...