Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Tumbleweed

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:21:06 GMT, rgree
wrote:

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

No-one's yet mentioned a layer of heavy-duty black polythene or that
black horticultural fabric (Terram or similar) that lets water
through. Cut out the light and everything dies, eventually.

Thistles don't. At least not in my experience. They are more than
capable of growing under the terram or carpet until they reach the edge.

BIgger carpet, tucked under the skirting board.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)