Old 26-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...

[snip]

How do you know that Roundup is harmless. It could be doing
untold damage to all sorts of levels of the biological chain.

So could tealeaves and so could animal manure. How do you know that these
items do not do untold damage to all sorts of levels of the biological
chain?

If you want to play your game seriously, you should not garden at all. You
should just sit and wait to see what mother nature deigns to produce of her
own accord. The hunter-gatherers had their day millennia ago.

Franz

Old 26-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this
: spring and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of
: dock leave weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them
: without posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully
: appreceiated

dig them out with a trowel is the best solution. Docks are not as bad

as a
lot of perennial weeds and if you can avoid weedkillers all the

better.

I don't understand why it is all the better if one avoids weedkillers.
Roundup has to be absorbed through the leaves and it become innocuous

when
it enters the soil.

Franz

Because you have just stated a common myth. It actually depends on the
type of soil and even then you cannot be sure that it is all
"innocuous".

Let us not beat about the bush: Please cite the references in the
scientific journals which provide any evidence of any kind which might prove
you to be correct.

Franz

Old 26-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Laurie Moseley" wrote in message

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

We have had some success with the following method (albeit with brambles

rather
than dock). Mix your weedkiller (probably glyphosate) with some wallpaper
paste. Then paint this mixture on the leaves of the plants which you wish

kill. It is quite easy to do this without spilling the mixture on to
surrounding plants.

It worked for us. One warning. Someone recently told me that for some

reason
this is not permitted (EU directive, I think). Does anyone know whether

that
warning is true, and if so what is its source?

I have in my stock of baddies a commercial preparation containing glyphosate
prepared a gel, which you paint on to broad leaves as you describe. I am
not aware that that product is illegal.
Make sure that you dilute the glyphosate has been diluted to working
strength before you make wallpaper paste with it.

Franz

Old 26-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

My apologies. They newly opened bottle of Lagavulin has interfered with my
ability to express myself correctly.

Franz

Old 27-09-2003, 07:34 AM
bnd777

s.com...
--
rgree

carefully pour a little salt into the very centre of the plant it soon works

Old 27-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:21:06 GMT, rgree
wrote:

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

No-one's yet mentioned a layer of heavy-duty black polythene or that
black horticultural fabric (Terram or similar) that lets water
through. Cut out the light and everything dies, eventually.

--
Chris

Old 28-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

No-one's yet mentioned a layer of heavy-duty black polythene or that
black horticultural fabric (Terram or similar) that lets water
through. Cut out the light and everything dies, eventually.

--
Chris

or even old carpet (turned over to make it look better!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Laurie Moseley" wrote in message

It worked for us. One warning. Someone recently told me that for some

reason
this is not permitted (EU directive, I think). Does anyone know whether

that
warning is true, and if so what is its source?

Unlicensed use. No safety testing has ever been done on mixes of
herbicides and wallpaper paste. Whilst I think it is unlikely that there
will be anything nasty as a result you should be aware that commercial
wallpaper pastes also contain powerful fungicides to stop your wallpaper
going mouldy and interaction with a weedkiller cannot be ruled out.

I have in my stock of baddies a commercial preparation containing glyphosate
prepared a gel, which you paint on to broad leaves as you describe. I am
not aware that that product is illegal.

The commercial preparation isn't illegal. They have had it safety tested
and licensed as a garden pesticide. Mixing your own is frowned upon.

Even using relatively harmless pure chemicals like isopropyl alcohol in
a form not sold for use as a commercial pesticide can get you into
trouble if an inspector notices and decides to be picky.

Make sure that you dilute the glyphosate has been diluted to working
strength before you make wallpaper paste with it.

People get into surprising trouble with ill advised mixing of household
chemicals. Especially with cleaning agents and bleaches. Always read the
warnings on the sides of the packets - they are not there for
decoration.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread you can dilute glyphosate
somewhat more than the instructions if you only want to kill grass.

Bit late in the season to be applying it now though.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 28-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

Even using relatively harmless pure chemicals like isopropyl alcohol in
a form not sold for use as a commercial pesticide can get you into
trouble if an inspector notices and decides to be picky.

You can tell him/her it's just a libation for the fairies. There isn't
an EC directive against that.

Yet.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

No-one's yet mentioned a layer of heavy-duty black polythene or that
black horticultural fabric (Terram or similar) that lets water
through. Cut out the light and everything dies, eventually.

Thistles don't. At least not in my experience. They are more than
capable of growing under the terram or carpet until they reach the edge.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Tumbleweed

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

No-one's yet mentioned a layer of heavy-duty black polythene or that
black horticultural fabric (Terram or similar) that lets water
through. Cut out the light and everything dies, eventually.

Thistles don't. At least not in my experience. They are more than
capable of growing under the terram or carpet until they reach the edge.

BIgger carpet, tucked under the skirting board.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)