Old 01-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Robert

Default Sowing seeds in autumn without a greenhouse

: A novice query, so thanks in advance for any advice.
:
: Full of enthusiasm, we recently sowed some sweet pea seeds in one of
: those seed propagator-things, with the clear plastic top (outdoors).
: We vaguely thought they'd grow an inch or two during autumn and
: winter, then perk up ready to be planted out in spring. However,
: they're now 5 inches tall and growing steadily.
:
: Will they keep growing all winter?
: Should we bring them inside? (with or without propagator?)
: Should we just leave them alone and let them completely fill the
: propagator? Would a cold frame be helpful?
:
: Cheers!
: Lorna

I would say you planted them slightly too early but they should be ok if you
keep them sheltered from strong winds. I don't know where you are but here
in Plymouth I leave them out all winter unless we get a severe frost (not
very likely here). With planting them so early you will have to be careful
planting them out as they will sprawl around a bit. The main rule for sweet
peas is not to molly coddle them but don't forget to water as even in Winter
those little containers can dry out. I expect I am telling you how to suck
eggs but don't forget to pinch out the top shoot when you have a couple
pairs of leaves, to encourage the side shoots which will bear the flowers