Old 01-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Dave Painter

Default Budget Chainsaw recommendations

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
snip

My thoughts where to buy a 14" electric chain saw to cut up the trees once
felled. I have seen DIY superstore own brand chainsaws for around £60, a
McCulloch for £80 and a Bosch for £100. Considering the time it would save
me I think it woth the money.

Anyone used these type of saws and have comments.

Yes.
B&Q/superstore own brands.
Very cheap, do the job but a b*gger to get spares/replacements for.
If you buy one make sure you get a new chain there and then.
At least if your chain snaps (unlikely) or wears out then you have the
replacement and
a decent period of time to get another.
Be careful in use, these are low weight/low usage OEM machines but just
because a major manufacturor
made them it does not follow that they can supply spare bars/handles/casings
etc

McCulloch - a reasonably well known brand/widely stocked

Bosch
More expensive machine, mine was also heavier. So was harder to use for very
light weight trimming

A cheap saw should do for your purposes, I assume that when the trees
are down, you will be doing very little tree surgery.
Invest in a saw horse/cutting stand. Takes the strain and a lot of dangers
out of cutting big logs into
smaller ones.

HTH

Dave