Old 02-10-2003, 02:33 AM
RichToyBox

Default Hurricane Isabelle

Though I did not have any physical damage by the hurricane, and was without
power (except generator) for a week, the high winds took the tall plants,
thalia, taro, and cannas and threw them into the pond along with lots of
leaves and pine needles. It was about Monday after the hurricane that I
pulled the plants back up onto the shelves, except the taro that went to the
compost heap. I told Donna that as soon as we got power, I was going to
have to get in the pond and vacuum the leaves and other debris. Thursday
when the power came back on, I looked at the large pond to see about
vacuuming it out, and it was clean except for about 5 little leaves on the
sides and a few dead or well worn lily pads. Thank goodness for bottom
drains. Between the pumps drawing water the length of the pond, and the koi
swimming stirring up the debris on the bottom, all of the leaves on the
bottom had been swept to the bottom drain. I still need to vacuum the
smaller pond, but it doesn't have any leaves in it, just some fine debris
that is clogging the skimmer pad.
--
RichToyBox