Old 02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Searching for Tamarix Juniperina

I had been searching for Tamarix Juniperina but had no luck at
all in the
last 3 years!

Maybe someone (Iris???) with a more complete list of synonyms
(outdated taxonomic names) for the Genus Tamarix can find
something, but it's not in my Dictionary of Plant Names, not in
Botanica, which lists many synonyms; not in Dirr's "Woody
Landscape Plants," not in any of my lists of harmful escaped
exotics in the US -- which has several tamarix species in it!!!).
However, it IS listed at http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/
with the synonym T. chinensis, along with 13 other Tamarix
species. I have NO idea how reliable that list is, though; I've
been less-than-impressed at other "Gardenweb" features. However,
a Google search found other references to it, so . . .

Botanica lists T. chinensis as a synonym to T. japonica and T.
plumosa. It does NOT refer to T. juniperina!

It also says, however, that there are 50 "or so" species of
Tamarix. I do NOT have all 50 + species names. Maybe Hortus
III does, but I haven't forked out the necessary $35 for it a
B&N.

So.

Where do you have a proper citation for this name? How did you
come to start looking for it? How does it differ from any of the
more common Tamarix species, which are quite similar one to the
other?

I suggest you broaden your search for it to include T. chinensis,
T. japonica, and T. plumosa. Nurseries are traditionally behind
the times on Latin names.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++