Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 AM
Hung Le

Default [IBC] Searching for Tamarix Juniperina

Hi All,
You guys had been great help. Always give me the right answer, just want to
include my great appreciation first. Thank you all who had help me.

I had been searching for Tamarix Juniperina but had no luck at all in the
last 3 years!
Does any one here have one that I can buy from (small one or even a
cutting would be ok).If you think searching for Tamarix Juniperina in USA
is impossible please let me know.
If you know any source or have one please contact me.
Thank you so much
Hung Le
VA zone 7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Jim Lewis

I had been searching for Tamarix Juniperina but had no luck at
all in the
last 3 years!

Maybe someone (Iris???) with a more complete list of synonyms
(outdated taxonomic names) for the Genus Tamarix can find
something, but it's not in my Dictionary of Plant Names, not in
Botanica, which lists many synonyms; not in Dirr's "Woody
Landscape Plants," not in any of my lists of harmful escaped
exotics in the US -- which has several tamarix species in it!!!).
However, it IS listed at http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/
with the synonym T. chinensis, along with 13 other Tamarix
species. I have NO idea how reliable that list is, though; I've
been less-than-impressed at other "Gardenweb" features. However,
a Google search found other references to it, so . . .

Botanica lists T. chinensis as a synonym to T. japonica and T.
plumosa. It does NOT refer to T. juniperina!

It also says, however, that there are 50 "or so" species of
Tamarix. I do NOT have all 50 + species names. Maybe Hortus
III does, but I haven't forked out the necessary $35 for it a
B&N.

So.

Where do you have a proper citation for this name? How did you
come to start looking for it? How does it differ from any of the
more common Tamarix species, which are quite similar one to the
other?

I suggest you broaden your search for it to include T. chinensis,
T. japonica, and T. plumosa. Nurseries are traditionally behind
the times on Latin names.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 AM
Hung Le

Bill wrote
A nursery near me here in Kansas City Missouri has some. Let me check on
the size and price and I will get back with you. Bill Crx3628@sbcglobal.

Hi Bill,
I am excited and can't wait to hear the result of your search. Whatever the
outcome will be, but your intention is deeply appreciated. Respectfully

Jim Lewis wrote:
Where do you have a proper citation for this name? How did you
come to start looking for it? How does it differ from any of the
more common Tamarix species, which are quite similar one to the
other?
Hi Jim,
I found that particular name from many sources ! to name some as following:
Bonsai Today #72 (front cover)
The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson (page 160).

Couple years ago, when I first created miniature mountains landscape. Upon
the completion ! There was the image of those miniature mountainous appeared on
the surface of the water inside the tray that hold the mountains...I like it
but something is missing ! A tree that have characteristics of toughness to
show the survival level in the surrounding condition and have to have some kind
of feminine to calm down the hardness of those rocks to make the image a
little peaceful. I was searching for a balance of Ying/Yang in "Taichi".
I hope that i make sense to you! but I thought the trunk of Tamarisk has
rough bark (strength) and foliage is feathery (something feminine). I am creating
something to satisfy the inner part of me- an image in my head. I am just an
amateur who see a lot of things in my head. Sometimes those images are very
freaky (LOL).
What do you think ? It is going to be the focal point in my front yard.
Hung Le
Zone 7.VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Helena Handbasket

snip
[...]

I would love to see some pictures of this in the gallery!

--
katie
Zone 6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis wrote:
[...]

As kind of a beginner in Taoist Tai Chi (but who has live with a
Tai Chi person for many years) I know what you're aiming for. I
think, however, that ANY Tamarix would give the same feeling.

You may not be able to find them in local nurseries because the
State of Virginia may have banned the tree. If so, it will be
unlawful for you to bring one into the state and to plant it in
your yard. You should check with the VA Deprtment of Agriculture
or the state envitronmental agency (whoever handles the exotic
invasive plant program in Virginia) to be sure. Fines can be
stiff.

Tamarix make fine bonsai. _I_ would not recommend their use as a
yard plant, however, (even if they ARE legal) because they are
too likely to escape, then raise havoc with the environment --
NOT a good Ying/Yang!

There may be other trees that fit the bill -- some of the sumacs?
They have rough bark, feathery leaves, and lovely fall color.

Old 04-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Hung Le

Jim Lewis wrote:

As kind of a beginner in Taoist Tai Chi (but who has live with a
Tai Chi person for many years) I know what you're aiming for. I
think, however, that ANY Tamarix would give the same feeling.

Jim, I agree with you 100% that any Tamarix would do it! The only thing

that I picked "Tamarix Juniperina " is happened that I had seen the picture of it
couple of times and I like to have it as Bonsai also.

You may not be able to find them in local nurseries because the
state of Virginia may have banned the tree. If so, it will be
unlawful for you to bring one into the state and to plant it in
your yard. You should check with the VA Deprtment of Agriculture
or the state envitronmental agency (whoever handles the exotic
invasive plant program in Virginia) to be sure. Fines can be
stiff.

Jim, I did not see Tamarix listed as Invasive plant list for Virginia but
will make a call on Monday to VA Department of Agriculture to make sure.

Tamarix make fine bonsai. _I_ would not recommend their use as a
yard plant, however, (even if they ARE legal) because they are
too likely to escape, then raise havoc with the environment --
NOT a good Ying/Yang!

Jim, I wouldn't plant it in the ground at all. The growing condition is
within the boundary of a large shallow dish of water, where mountains would be
rising in the middle of the water body. Trees, grass growing at the base of the
mountain, cascading down the cliff or may be higher up on those mountain to
challenge the wind. Each of the designs would have their own personality- Story
within a picture where people will have their own unique way of
interpretation.
The Original name is "Mountains in the Sea".

Hung Le
Zone 7a- VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Hung Le

snip
[...]

Hi Katie,
I was thinking about posting them in the Gallery some day. Let me searching
for the missing elements to complete the picture first.
Hung Le
zone 7a. VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++