Old 02-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Unique Too

Default Fall! Yippee!

What passes for fall is here also. That means highs in the low to mid 80's,
nights cooling down to less than 75. It's nice, very nice. We've had the
windows open since Monday and the house feels good, lots of fresh air to get
rid of that stuffiness after being closed all summer.
I've spent several hours in the yard this week. By this time of year the
summer annuals are overgrown and taking over. I filled two garbage cans with
trimmed plants and worked on some of the roses. Double Delight looked awful,
very few leaves and all gangly. It was either get out the shovel or cut it way
back. The prunners won the battle and it's now about 18" high. Hopefully,
we'll keep this cooler weather and it will be able to recover. I'm not
concerned with any new growth being cold damaged, we have several months before
there's too much chance for frost.
There's lots of dieback on some of the larger roses. With some assistance I
cut my way behind Crepuscule and Mrs. BR Cant and filled another can with small
dead branches. The only safe way to get back there is covered with leather,
The Missus has some nasty thorns. Found a couple of canes growing on the roof,
they had followed the palm fronds up and over. And HMF says it gets about 4X4,
not in this climate! It even surpasses the size listed for the climbing
version of 10'-20'. The roof is about 20' at that point and these canes were
at least 10' over that.
Purple Buttons is putting out non-stop flowers. Since it was no more than a
rooted twig a few months ago, I am trying to keep the buds pinched off. But
it's a loosing battle, this one wants to bloom and bloom alot!
Well, enough talk about roses, I need to get back out there and work on them
some more. I hope everyone with fall weather is enjoying it as much as I am
right now.

Julie