Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Shiva

Default Fall! Yippee!

Charles Perry wrote:

Minnesota zone 4a, no transition at all this year. One day 90+, the next
60's, the next 50's. There was only one day between the air conditioning and
the furnace. It was down into the lower 20's again last night. The few
things I covered don't look like they will recover.

That's terrible. Here we may not have a hard freeze all winter, or we might
have a quick cold snap that causes lots of damage because the roses are not
dormant. However, I have only lost one rose (a first-year own root Joyfulness)
to cold, even though I do not winter protect. The one year I went ovverboard
and piled mulch around them, I lost several the next spring due to canker from
the moisture buildup over the cold season.

I still have dead bare root roses to dig out Not a red letter year for
me, rose wise, I'm afraid.

I am sorry you lost roses. losing annuals early just makes me grumpy for a
day or two. Losing roses is a tragedy that causes real grief.

Ha! We have the same feeling about that. The bare roots didn't hurt much, but
my 3-year-old Granada did--and Sunsprite. Both great roses, to me, and fairly
well established. You can never get that time back.

I look forward to cold weather since we have so much 80F+ weather

here. I have come to hate the heat. But I do live for spring and fall.

I hope you have a nice long fall season. Now that we have had a hard freeze
there is a hope here for some Indian Summer.

Best wishes for a warm spell!

Regards,

Charles
--