Old 03-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Chet Hayes

Default Breakup thatch now? Cut grass short?

"Phrederik" wrote in message news:vcXeb.5343$6C4.5089@pd7tw1no...
Hey all!

Just going to give my lawn the once over before winter sets in. Since I
really don't know much I thought I'd ask here...

Most of my lawn is a decent hieght, but there are a few patches that are
really too tall (6"+). I'm going to mow it down but was wondering if I
should shorten the whole lawn. I always mulch the grass.

I'm going to put down a winter fertilizer. Should I break up the thatch in
the lawn first, or is this important to protect the roots over the winter?

Thanks!

If it's 6 inchs, I sure wouldn't shorten it in one cut. Don't know
what area you're in, but for most of the US, grass still needs to be
cut at least several more times.

You can cut it a little shorter for the final cut, assuming it's still
going to grow some. Personally, I cut mine the last time usually in
Dec just to the normal height. By then it's stopped growing, so the
last cut looks uniform for the winter.

You can dethatch anytime if it really needs it, but most lawns don't,
unless it really is a thick mat like covering. I'd probably wait to
do that till spring, so the grass can aggessively fill in.