Old 03-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Searching for Tamarix Juniperina

Jim Lewis wrote:
Where do you have a proper citation for this name? How did

you
come to start looking for it? How does it differ from any of

the
more common Tamarix species, which are quite similar one to

the
other?
Hi Jim,
I found that particular name from many sources ! to name some

as following:
Bonsai Today #72 (front cover)
The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson (page 160).

Couple years ago, when I first created miniature mountains

landscape. Upon
the completion ! There was the image of those miniature

mountainous appeared on
the surface of the water inside the tray that hold the

mountains...I like it
but something is missing ! A tree that have characteristics of

toughness to
show the survival level in the surrounding condition and have

to have some kind
of feminine to calm down the hardness of those rocks to make

the image a
little peaceful. I was searching for a balance of Ying/Yang in

"Taichi".

As kind of a beginner in Taoist Tai Chi (but who has live with a
Tai Chi person for many years) I know what you're aiming for. I
think, however, that ANY Tamarix would give the same feeling.

You may not be able to find them in local nurseries because the
State of Virginia may have banned the tree. If so, it will be
unlawful for you to bring one into the state and to plant it in
your yard. You should check with the VA Deprtment of Agriculture
or the state envitronmental agency (whoever handles the exotic
invasive plant program in Virginia) to be sure. Fines can be
stiff.

Tamarix make fine bonsai. _I_ would not recommend their use as a
yard plant, however, (even if they ARE legal) because they are
too likely to escape, then raise havoc with the environment --
NOT a good Ying/Yang!

There may be other trees that fit the bill -- some of the sumacs?
They have rough bark, feathery leaves, and lovely fall color.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++