Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Tom Randy

Default Vegetable root depth

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:36:59 -0400, Frogleg wrote:

!!!! I am always surprised at how *shallow* veg plant roots are. Even in
thoroughly tilled and amended soil, when I pull up tomato plants at the
end of the season, the roots (the ones that come up with the plant) don't
seem to be more than 8-10" deep. Of course root hairs may be deeper, but
waaay short of 4'. A beet root tapers to the size of a toothpick within
6". I can't imagine that 6' of good loose soil is required to grow one.

Some veg are nourished not by providing great depth, but mounding soil or
compost around a relatively shallow planting -- potatoes, celery. The
directions that came with my asparagus crowns said to trench to a depth
of 18", build a long 5-6" mound in the middle to support the crowns, and
gradually add compost each year.

I also have successfully grown many (small tomatoes, chiles) veg in pots
that were no deeper than 10". Nobody in their right mind (flame shield
on) is going to till and amend a to a depth of 4-6'.

10-12" is plenty enough for any vegetable. Simple as that. But I agree with
you.