Old 03-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Scott

Default Vegetable root depth

Can anyone recommend a source where I could find out how deep various
plant roots need to be to survive? This would be nice to know when
preparing a new garden bed - obviously a carrot needs a deeper bed
than a radish or lettuce, for example.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 AM

actually, the most efficient method of covering root veggies for use in winter or
over wintering is to mound the marsh hay up and over the bed. Ingrid

(Scott) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a source where I could find out how deep various
plant roots need to be to survive? This would be nice to know when
preparing a new garden bed - obviously a carrot needs a deeper bed
than a radish or lettuce, for example.

Thanks!
Scott

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Frogleg

On 3 Oct 2003 08:16:58 -0700, (simy1) wrote:

(Scott) wrote in message . com...
Can anyone recommend a source where I could find out how deep various
plant roots need to be to survive? This would be nice to know when
preparing a new garden bed - obviously a carrot needs a deeper bed
than a radish or lettuce, for example.

It depends. Do you want them to survive or to thrive? Tomatoes go down
four feet. Chicory or beet go down six feet.

!!!! I am always surprised at how *shallow* veg plant roots are. Even
in thoroughly tilled and amended soil, when I pull up tomato plants at
the end of the season, the roots (the ones that come up with the
plant) don't seem to be more than 8-10" deep. Of course root hairs may
be deeper, but waaay short of 4'. A beet root tapers to the size of a
toothpick within 6". I can't imagine that 6' of good loose soil is
required to grow one.

Some veg are nourished not by providing great depth, but mounding soil
or compost around a relatively shallow planting -- potatoes, celery.
The directions that came with my asparagus crowns said to trench to a
depth of 18", build a long 5-6" mound in the middle to support the
crowns, and gradually add compost each year.

I also have successfully grown many (small tomatoes, chiles) veg in
pots that were no deeper than 10". Nobody in their right mind (flame
shield on) is going to till and amend a to a depth of 4-6'.

Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:36:59 -0400, Frogleg wrote:

[...]

10-12" is plenty enough for any vegetable. Simple as that. But I agree with
you.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

(Scott) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a source where I could find out how deep various
plant roots need to be to survive? This would be nice to know when
preparing a new garden bed - obviously a carrot needs a deeper bed
than a radish or lettuce, for example.

Thanks!
Scott

I think you also have to judge how vigorous growth needs to be. I mean
a carrot is *A* carrot. But a tomato plant may grow 20' of vine from a
single point in the dirt and grow many pounds of fruits. I think roots
will grow wherever they CAN grow. I think whatever depth you provide
large plants, they will take advantage of it. Small plants that are
naturally limited in size when mature probably won't have 2' roots
even if it is there.

Howevere, If I put a tomato at the end of a trench container I will
find roots throughout the container, even at the other end (assuming
conditions are not inhibiting growth). My 12x12x10deep containers with
tomatoes and peppers are solid with roots. I can lift the entire cube
of dirt up with the plant.

Which brings me to ask the group...

...is that bad for next season? Having a container with so many
roots? Will they rot away by spring or are they going to take up space
from the next root system. I've already dug up the main root
ball(shook loose the dirt and discarded).

At some depth the roots are going to encounter more compressed clay
and rock. That is where the roots will probably stop growing
vigorously. Although I'm sure some will wind through cracks and spots.

I dug out 18-20 inches of bed and weeded out stones (I admit, somewhat
obsessively, only the smallest pebbles got by). I found that about 10%
of the plant bed was rocks. Now I went farther and deeper than many
do, but as a first season gardener THAT plant bed did excellent for
me. Surprised my neighbors and even their friends who have been
growing veggies. I don't know if it will produce in future years but
despite the rain and the cold my plants seemed to do well. Two tomato
plants produced 26 lbs(150 tomatoes) and I still have 11 lbs(90
tomatoes) on the vine. Not bad for a guy who has murdered a few
houseplants in his time.

My containers are typically 10-11" deep and none thrived the way the
prepared bed did. I planted two bell peppers, one in the prepared bed,
one in the soil next to it. The prepared bed has grown much larger and
produced twice as many peppers(25 to 13).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

[IMG] code is On

Root depth of various plants [email protected] North Carolina 6 26-05-2005 06:52 PM
Question root depth [email protected] Roses 5 16-05-2005 08:49 PM
Herb root depth Scott Edible Gardening 1 08-04-2004 07:02 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM