Old 04-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Good winter veggies

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:26:58 GMT, "Mango Man"
wrote:

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live in
an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's
with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to
grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

* Swiss chard
* Lettuce
* Maybe celery - I've not grown it, so I don't know.
* Most of the Asian greens, including mizuna, hon tsa tai,
bok choy, choy sum, and Chinese cabbage
* Beets
* Carrots
* Radicchio
* Chicory

(Really, most any salad green.)

It would help to cover things with a floating row cover,
especially during the colder nights.

My Swiss chard survived last winter until the temperature
hit 12 F. And it was in a pot, not even growing in the
ground. Lettuce I was growing this spring survived
temperatures of about 16 F, plus a foot of wet snow.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/