Old 04-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Mango Man

Default Good winter veggies

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live in
an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's
with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to
grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

Old 04-10-2003, 06:42 PM

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:26:58 GMT, "Mango Man"
wrote:

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live in
an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's
with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to
grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

* Swiss chard
* Lettuce
* Maybe celery - I've not grown it, so I don't know.
* Most of the Asian greens, including mizuna, hon tsa tai,
bok choy, choy sum, and Chinese cabbage
* Beets
* Carrots
* Radicchio
* Chicory

(Really, most any salad green.)

It would help to cover things with a floating row cover,
especially during the colder nights.

My Swiss chard survived last winter until the temperature
hit 12 F. And it was in a pot, not even growing in the
ground. Lettuce I was growing this spring survived
temperatures of about 16 F, plus a foot of wet snow.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 AM
James Mayer

wrote:

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live in
an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's
with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to
grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, cabbage, rutabaga, those
sort of things.

Old 08-10-2003, 10:12 PM
len

"Mango Man" wrote in message

Any suggestions for what grow good during fall and winter months. I live

in
an area that is usually sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30's
with a few 20s and an occassional teen thrown in. What are good veggies to
grow in these conditions. Celery??? Lettuce??? Any thoughts?

You can do; kale, collards, brussel sprouts, spinach, bok choy, and others.
Len

FS: Chest Freezer.. good for veggies bud North Carolina 1 23-01-2006 12:14 AM
Stunted veggies FerdyPooh Gardening 1 30-05-2003 03:08 AM
new to veggies shannie United Kingdom 1 12-03-2003 12:23 AM
amusing veggies Don Engdahl Gardening 3 04-02-2003 01:23 AM