Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Robert

Default Horse manure

: I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
: before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
: horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
: rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
: roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

Yes but the thing is, in rotting down it will take nitrogen out of the soil,
which is part of the reason you put it there. This does correct itself after
a short time . Can't you get some at the back of the pile!?