Old 04-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Horse manure

I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

--
Chris

Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Robert

: I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
: before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
: horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
: rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
: roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

Yes but the thing is, in rotting down it will take nitrogen out of the soil,
which is part of the reason you put it there. This does correct itself after
a short time . Can't you get some at the back of the pile!?

Old 04-10-2003, 08:12 PM
bnd777

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

--
Chris

Congratulations on removing the blighters ....Horse Manure
PILE IT IN and then pile in more
After Leylandi your soil will need every ounce of manure you can get for a
long time to come

Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

Should do - as long as it doesn't freeze from the time you put it in to
the ime you plant the new hedge.

I'd suggest putting bonemeal and bones in the bottom of the
trench/holes. Releases calcium and phosphates very slowly.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 04-10-2003, 09:22 PM
ned

bnd777 wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I've just taken out a leylandii hedge ........

snip

Congratulations on removing the blighters .......

..... I'll just go out and give mine a reassuring pat.
Wouldn't want them to worry overnight.
;-)

--
ned

Old 06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Chris Hogg

Thanks for all your replies. Much as I thought, should be OK by
Spring. It's fresh manure, BTW. Our neighbour has five horses and
allows me to shovel it up from his field next door to us. I can get
about two barrow loads per week :-)

--
Chris

Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 PM
David Hill

"..........Our neighbour has five horses and allows me to shovel it up from
his field next door to us. I can get about two barrow loads per week
:-).........."

Now if you could only train them so that you could leave the barrow in the
corner of the field and they would fill it for you...........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 PM
martin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:13:50 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"..........Our neighbour has five horses and allows me to shovel it up from
his field next door to us. I can get about two barrow loads per week
:-).........."

Now if you could only train them so that you could leave the barrow in the
corner of the field and they would fill it for you...........

My dauhter once went to a circus in France where an elephant delivered
several bucket fulls into the lap of a woman sitting in the front row.
Is this what you have in mind? :-)
--
Martin

Old 15-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

I've just taken out a leylandii hedge and want to improve the soil
before planting something else next spring. I have access to fresh
horse manure. If I dig it in this autumn, will it have
rotted/composted or whatever, sufficiently so as not to damage the
roots of the new plants when I plant them next year?

Should do - as long as it doesn't freeze from the time you put it in to
the ime you plant the new hedge.

snip
--
Rusty Hinge

Not much danger of it freezing where Chris is! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk