Old 05-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Greenhouse - bringing back into use

The message
from "Sandy" contains these words:

I've got a large greenhouse that hasn't been used for many years - I've
removed all the weeds, etc. but can anyone give me some tips about what to
do (or not to do!) to get it back into use so that I can get some plants on
the go over the winter (we are in West Cornwall where the winters are
usually very mild).

Sweep all debris from the floor. Scrub down the glass and all
supports, inside and out to remove moulds and improve light levels. I
use a hosepipe to wet them first (and rinse off afterwards) then a soft
handbrush and a bucket of hot water for the washing. Scrub the shelves
or benches too. If the GH has external gutters and a downpipe to a water
butt, clean them all out.

Make sure that doors, vents and windows will open smoothly and latch
shut properly (v. important in high winds). There may be grit or moss
jammed in sliding door runners,(toothbrush is useful cleaner) or hinges
may need lubricating.

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

Janet.