Old 04-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Sandy

Default Greenhouse - bringing back into use

I've got a large greenhouse that hasn't been used for many years - I've
removed all the weeds, etc. but can anyone give me some tips about what to
do (or not to do!) to get it back into use so that I can get some plants on
the go over the winter (we are in West Cornwall where the winters are
usually very mild).

Many thanks, Sandy

Old 05-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sandy" contains these words:

I've got a large greenhouse that hasn't been used for many years - I've
removed all the weeds, etc. but can anyone give me some tips about what to
do (or not to do!) to get it back into use so that I can get some plants on
the go over the winter (we are in West Cornwall where the winters are
usually very mild).

Sweep all debris from the floor. Scrub down the glass and all
supports, inside and out to remove moulds and improve light levels. I
use a hosepipe to wet them first (and rinse off afterwards) then a soft
handbrush and a bucket of hot water for the washing. Scrub the shelves
or benches too. If the GH has external gutters and a downpipe to a water
butt, clean them all out.

Make sure that doors, vents and windows will open smoothly and latch
shut properly (v. important in high winds). There may be grit or moss
jammed in sliding door runners,(toothbrush is useful cleaner) or hinges
may need lubricating.

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

Janet.

Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Mary Fisher

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

Mary

Janet.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 05-10-2003, 09:22 PM
martin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:13:28 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

two palm trees, a hammock and your desert island discs
--
Martin

Old 06-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

two palm trees, a hammock and your desert island discs

God! Did you hear the crap Nigella Lawson wanted to take with her today?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 06-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

two palm trees, a hammock and your desert island discs

Someone in Renfrewshire erected a huge secondhand commercial-size GH
in his garden and fitted out with all that plus sofas, lights, and a
pond :-) It's fabulous, open to the public under the yellow book scheme.

Janet.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
martin

wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

two palm trees, a hammock and your desert island discs

Someone in Renfrewshire erected a huge secondhand commercial-size GH
in his garden and fitted out with all that plus sofas, lights, and a
pond :-) It's fabulous, open to the public under the yellow book scheme.

One quite often sees green houses used to store boats during the
winter in the Netherlands. More income for less risk/work :-)

There's also one used as a restaurant in Amsterdam
http://www.amsterdamhotspots.nl/eat2.html
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
martin

wrote:
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
Janet sed:

Scrounge old chair, old radio, etc...

:-)

And a glass, a bottle-opener and a straw hat.

two palm trees, a hammock and your desert island discs

God! Did you hear the crap Nigella Lawson wanted to take with her today?

her own chef?

no :-)
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

God! Did you hear the crap Nigella Lawson wanted to take with her today?

Yes. I don't know the woman but she's not made me want to ...

Mary

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 14-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Sandy

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Janet, Thanks for your advice. I have sprayed the GH inside & out with
Biocide to kill off the fungus etc. I will rinse off after it has had time
to work then clean the glass. I've also decided to sterilise the soil with a
solution of Jeyes Fluid. The GH is 12' 4'' x 20' 4'' so that will keep me
busy for a few hours! Sandy