Old 05-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Shiva

Default Fall! Yippee!

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:26:14 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

So, I just went outside to find ice on the windshield of my car. The
low was supposed to only be 38 and it's 38 now, but apparently we've
had some icy fog here. I've been in Nashville for almost 7 years now
and I've *never* seen ice this early.

Poor thing. I imagine it is not far away for us. It was in the forties
the other night. I still have potted roses I have not planted, grrrr.
I think I might put them in larger pots and keep them on the porch
until spring.

I just hope that the tropicals I
have outside didn't freeze (I've got a ficus and schieffileria and
rubber plant still outside). There's also some frost on the ground.
Unbelievable!

I still have a ficus outside that I am afraid I am saying sayonara to
.. It is at that "too big and gangly" stage that they never get over if
placed in a house without enough light every winter. It is a shame, as
I love the leaves and general shape of these trees.

I guess I'll see later whether or not I've got any damage to tender
growth (I've got a lot of it at the moment).

Me too. I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to see the draw of the
rose massacre for the prune-happy. I had to cut so much canker off,
and the pruning brought great new growth. I suppose I will hard-prune
this winter to see if it helps them in the spring. Plus, less cane,
less surface for canker.