Old 05-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Bevan Price

Default Overgrown Forsythia

"Colin Spooner" wrote in message
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks
Colin

If you prune heavily now, you will not get many flowers next spring. Either
wait until after it has flowered, or prune about half now, and leave the
rest until next year and see how it responds before further pruning.

Bevan