Old 04-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Colin Spooner

Default Overgrown Forsythia

I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks
Colin

Old 05-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Spooner
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks
Colin
I have loads of Forsythia in my garden as a hedge, and from my experience it can be heavily trimmed and does grow back fast from the old wood. I *wouldn't* recomend trimming the whole lot down to ground level as it my just die, but a heavy prune to improve the shape allways works fine.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Colin
Spooner writes
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?

Ours did - but slowly.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 05-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Bevan Price

"Colin Spooner" wrote in message
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks
Colin

If you prune heavily now, you will not get many flowers next spring. Either
wait until after it has flowered, or prune about half now, and leave the
rest until next year and see how it responds before further pruning.

Bevan

Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Michael Berridge

Colin Spooner wrote in message
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to

reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks

Usual recommendation is to do it by thirds, that is to cut one third of
the branches very hard each year. This will keep it undercontrol, and
also ensure that you have plenty of flowers each year.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk