Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Cold Frame advice needed.

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

Hi , I am about to construct a cold frame, and would appreciate any advice,
on construction ,a nd location in the garden i e :
north , south , east or west facing aspect .

Here's how we made one last week:

The roof/top light is an old aluminium framed secondary glazing window
pane about 4ft by 2 ft, so John made a supporting wooden back-and-sides
frame to fit, using scrap wood. The back is about 15 " high, the front
about 10", so the roof slopes to shed rain. The outsides of the walls
are stained black to absorb warmth. When I can cadge some, the inside
walls will be lined with white expanded polystyrene sheets for
insulation and light reflection. What kind of shop uses that kind of
packaging,any ideas? ( I know I could buy sheets in B and Q, but we like
things recycled, and free).

The whole thing sits on two salvaged 2 by 2ft concrete slabs side by
side. Underneath the slabs I laid two loops of old polypropylene rope,
each protruding a few inches front and back. The roof is held secure by
two old stretchy elastic roofrack ties hooked into the loops front and
back. Venting happens by wedging a bit of wood under the front of the
roof.

At the moment it's full of pots of cuttings, sitting in a light
sheltered place out of direct sun; but it's not hard to move if need be.

Janet