Old 05-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Mick

Default Cold Frame advice needed.

Hi , I am about to construct a cold frame, and would appreciate any advice,
on construction ,a nd location in the garden i e :
north , south , east or west facing aspect .

thanks in anticipation

Mike !!!!

Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

Hi , I am about to construct a cold frame, and would appreciate any advice,
on construction ,a nd location in the garden i e :
north , south , east or west facing aspect .

Here's how we made one last week:

The roof/top light is an old aluminium framed secondary glazing window
pane about 4ft by 2 ft, so John made a supporting wooden back-and-sides
frame to fit, using scrap wood. The back is about 15 " high, the front
about 10", so the roof slopes to shed rain. The outsides of the walls
are stained black to absorb warmth. When I can cadge some, the inside
walls will be lined with white expanded polystyrene sheets for
insulation and light reflection. What kind of shop uses that kind of
packaging,any ideas? ( I know I could buy sheets in B and Q, but we like
things recycled, and free).

The whole thing sits on two salvaged 2 by 2ft concrete slabs side by
side. Underneath the slabs I laid two loops of old polypropylene rope,
each protruding a few inches front and back. The roof is held secure by
two old stretchy elastic roofrack ties hooked into the loops front and
back. Venting happens by wedging a bit of wood under the front of the
roof.

At the moment it's full of pots of cuttings, sitting in a light
sheltered place out of direct sun; but it's not hard to move if need be.

Janet
Old 05-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mick" wrote in message
Hi , I am about to construct a cold frame, and would appreciate any

advice,
on construction ,a nd location in the garden i e :
north , south , east or west facing aspect .

thanks in anticipation

I prefer frames constructed with one of the double-skinned horticultural
plastics, as obtainable from Plastics by Post (or is it "by mail"?) They
make lightweight, easily transportable frames. The material can be cut with
a Stanley knife and assembled by making small holes and "sewing" the parts
together with fishing nylon. They provide good thermal insulation, as a
result of the double wall. The only slight drawback is that they are so
light that they have to be weighted down. I do this by building them with
triangular gussets (which also keeps them square) in the bottom and making
sure that there are always some pots or seedpans standing on the gussets.
If you are too lazy to assemble them with sewn string, you can use duck tape
instead. That lasts for around two seasons. I make both frames and cloches
like this.

Frames for rooting summer cuttings are best sited such as to be out of reach
of direct sunlight. Frames for overwintering this and that or for seed
raising are best kept in full sunlight.

Franz

Old 05-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

white expanded polystyrene sheets for
insulation and light reflection. What kind of shop uses that kind of
packaging,any ideas? ( I know I could buy sheets in B and Q, but we like
things recycled, and free).

'White Goods', haunted fishtanks etc.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 06-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Frames for rooting summer cuttings are best sited such as to be out of reach
of direct sunlight. Frames for overwintering this and that or for seed
raising are best kept in full sunlight.

Thanks Franz, that's useful

Janet