Old 06-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim W

Default OT help

David Hill wrote:

Can anyone help?
My son works off shore in many different parts of the world, he is planning
on getting a laptop and is wondering how he can get e mail without the cost
of having to use a Mobile phone for the connection which would cost an arm
and a leg.
Does anyone know of a ISP provider that could be accessed from a variety of
phone numbers around the world at one cost?

His actual words were...... "I need a subscription to an ISP that will allow
me to be able to plug into a phone line in the Houston crew flat or the
Aberdeen crew flat or a crew flat in which ever other country I happen to be
in and connect to a local number for my dial up connection. "
All ideas gratefully received

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

As others have said AOL are best known for this... Obviously you are
not asking for webmail access as you wish to dialup from a laptop..

Take a look at:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/A...rces_for_ISPs/
Global_Roaming/

or similar on google..

He will also need to sort out modem adaptors etc to prevent his modem
being fried by digital lines etc (as found in some hotels) and enable
him to connect to the various phone sockets around the globe.

On;y other option is a mobile phone or satphone, which is as stated
expensive though becoming cheaper.. Though unless he's sending large
files etc it might be worth looking at anyway, GPRS is also an option
these days.
//
Jim