Old 05-10-2003, 10:47 PM
David Hill

Default OT help

Can anyone help?
My son works off shore in many different parts of the world, he is planning
on getting a laptop and is wondering how he can get e mail without the cost
of having to use a Mobile phone for the connection which would cost an arm
and a leg.
Does anyone know of a ISP provider that could be accessed from a variety of
phone numbers around the world at one cost?

His actual words were...... "I need a subscription to an ISP that will allow
me to be able to plug into a phone line in the Houston crew flat or the
Aberdeen crew flat or a crew flat in which ever other country I happen to be
in and connect to a local number for my dial up connection. "
All ideas gratefully received

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 05-10-2003, 11:04 PM

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:39:24 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

Can anyone help?
My son works off shore in many different parts of the world, he is planning
on getting a laptop and is wondering how he can get e mail without the cost
of having to use a Mobile phone for the connection which would cost an arm
and a leg.
Does anyone know of a ISP provider that could be accessed from a variety of
phone numbers around the world at one cost?

His actual words were...... "I need a subscription to an ISP that will allow
me to be able to plug into a phone line in the Houston crew flat or the
Aberdeen crew flat or a crew flat in which ever other country I happen to be
in and connect to a local number for my dial up connection. "
All ideas gratefully received

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Hate to say it but AOL do (spit)

. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |
/- _ `-/ '
(/\/ \ \ /\
/ / | ` \
O O ) / |
`-^--'` '
(_.) _ ) /
`.___/` /
`-----' /
----. __ / __ \
----|====O)))==) \) /====
----' `--' `.__,' \
| |
\ /
______( (_ / \______
,' ,-----' | \
`--{__________) \/

I'm a horny devil when riled.

pete who?

-=[ Grim Reaper ]=- 6/97

.""--.._
[] `'--.._
||__ `'-,
`)||_ ```'--.. \
_ /|//} ``--._ |
.'` `'. /////} `\/
/ .""".\ //{///
/ /_ _`\\ // `||
| |(_)(_)|| _// ||
| | /\ )| _///\ ||
| |L====J | / |/ | ||
/ /'-..-' / .'` \ | ||
/ | :: | |_.-` | \ ||
/| `\-::.| | \ | ||
/` `| / | | | / ||
|` \ | / / \ | ||
| `\_| |/ ,.__. \ | ||
/ /` `\ || ||
| . / \|| ||
| | |/ ||
/ / | ( ||
/ . / ) ||
| \ | ||
/ | / ||
|\ / | ||
\ `-._ | / ||
\ ,//`\ /` | ||
///\ \ | \ ||
|||| ) |__/ | ||
|||| `.( | ||
`\\` /` / ||
/` / ||
jgs / | ||
| \ ||
/ | ||
/` \ ||
/` | ||
`-.___,-. .-. ___,' ||
`---'` `'----'`
I need a drink, feel all giddy...hic!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:46 PM
bnd777

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

AOL should do but there was a time when if you were a UK AOL subscriber they
would charge an extra fee if you accessed your mail from a USA link

Old 06-10-2003, 01:02 AM
LizR

wrote:

[...]

No need to swear! Lots do these days. I managed to access my blueblunder email
account while I was abroad this year.

If all else fails, David, he should get a hotmail account (or similar) and access it
from wherever he can lig a connection. It's becoming quite ok to ask if you can just
access your mail from s/o else's connection. And there are plenty of internet cafes
around the world.

hth

Liz

Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 AM
martin

wrote:

[...]

Most ISPs offer webmail free.
--
Martin

Old 06-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Jim W

David Hill wrote:

Can anyone help?
My son works off shore in many different parts of the world, he is planning
on getting a laptop and is wondering how he can get e mail without the cost
of having to use a Mobile phone for the connection which would cost an arm
and a leg.
Does anyone know of a ISP provider that could be accessed from a variety of
phone numbers around the world at one cost?

His actual words were...... "I need a subscription to an ISP that will allow
me to be able to plug into a phone line in the Houston crew flat or the
Aberdeen crew flat or a crew flat in which ever other country I happen to be
in and connect to a local number for my dial up connection. "
All ideas gratefully received

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

As others have said AOL are best known for this... Obviously you are
not asking for webmail access as you wish to dialup from a laptop..

Take a look at:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/A...rces_for_ISPs/
Global_Roaming/

or similar on google..

He will also need to sort out modem adaptors etc to prevent his modem
being fried by digital lines etc (as found in some hotels) and enable
him to connect to the various phone sockets around the globe.

On;y other option is a mobile phone or satphone, which is as stated
expensive though becoming cheaper.. Though unless he's sending large
files etc it might be worth looking at anyway, GPRS is also an option
these days.
//
Jim
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Lorna

Hurrah, something I know something about for a change!

Your son should look to set up an account with an ISP which is a member of
GRIC, an alliance of several hundred ISPs worldwide, with local numbers all
over the world. Easynet are members, as are Demon. When you set up the
account, make it clear that you want 'global roaming'. You just download
the GRIC software, and when you are abroad, click on the GRIC icon instead
of your normal ISPs icon. You then get a vast choice of countries and
cities so you can dial in to somewhere at local cost. Have a look at
www.gric.com for more info.

There is a charge for using GRIC, which your ISP will usually add to your
bill. If I recall rightly, it was a smallish flat fee per month, with
unlimited use during that month.

However, after years of doing this, I got so sick of slow dial up
connections that I now prefer to find an internet cafe and use web-based
email. But if your son is going to very remote places, he may need laptop
access.

Good luck to him!

Lorna

Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
David Hill

May I say thank you to all who came up with so many different Ideas.
I have forwarded some on to him for him to make his decision, but I have
learned a lot.
Again Thanks

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM