Old 06-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Plant identity needed

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

Also as I travel up and down the A 1 , this last week the leaves on a
certain tree / shrub has caught my eye , in strong sunlight the crimson
colour of the leaves are stunning , they are not Sorbus or Ash that are
turning , they do appear to be part of a woodland mix , I did think they
might be a cornus but the bark is brown . the leaves are ovate and heavily
veined .

The native Cornus which is found in mixed hedging doesn't have red
stems. On the other hand, I'm not sure that they're brown (It's too dark
to go and look) but they're certainly fairly dark coloured. Many tend to
turn a very dark crimson but some go brighter red.

Another small tree that is bright red at the moment and comes in native
wood/hedge mixes is the spinde, Euonymus europaeus. It also has the
right shaped leaves

Janet G