Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Dave Millman

Default PH buffer query re plants

"RedForeman ©®" wrote:

In that case would you advise the use of a CO2 diffuser instead of a PH
buffer.? Could baking soda be used directly in the water without

endangering
the water's balance?

I've used baking soda to raise the gH and pH when needed, but never added
more than 1 tablespoon.

Minor error he Baking soda has little effect on GH. It is Sodium Bicarbonate,
which is "pure" KH, which raises pH.

Lime (calcium carbonate): Same effect as Baking Soda, also raises GH

I'm not sure... I would dare to say not to use it until you hear from some
of the more intelligent ppl here, not me... I'm not smaart... :-)

More information: Calcium carbonate has been added to aquariums since there were
such things. It is the primary ingredient in seashells, aragonite gravel, and
many rocks. Lime, a powder, is the easy way to dissolve measured amounts in
water. Calcium carbonate raises both GH and KH.

Now back to reality. Jimmy, why do you feel you need to raise your KH? What is
your KH, and what is your pH before and after CO2 injection? What other
nutrients are you adding to your water? How much of your aquarium is planted,
and for how long? How are the plants (and the algae) growing?

In short, what are you trying to accomplish?