Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Neighbour Probs - Gardening Related

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

The most valuable asset you can have is a friendly neighbour.

My land was separated from my neighbour by an empty (but horribly overgrown)
plot. He used to keep the hedge between the plot and his garden trimmed from
both sides - the hedge is his pride and joy.
I bought the overgrown plot (after offering to let him have half - which he
refused). I cleared it and laid a lawn ,vegetable beds and a small orchard.
My neighbour continued to trim the hedge from both sides - despite a polite
request to leave my side to me. It irked me that he walked onto my property
without asking, but hey! it only happens twice a year.

When the deeds came back from the Land Registry I discovered that the hedge
is actually mine.
I have not told him. I will not tell him - unless we fall out over something
else! I have made a point of objecting to his presence on the property which
is sufficient should a claim be made under the adverse possession law.

I'd rather have peace and quiet than a few feet of ground.

You could tactfully ask him not to come in and say that you have to ask
him because if you don't, you agree tacitly to permit him, and since
that bit of your property isn't yet included in your insurance, you
would be liable personally if he should injure himself there.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk