Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Michael Berridge

Default Overgrown Forsythia

Colin Spooner wrote in message
I have a Forsythia bush/tree in my garden which has been unpruned and
neglected for many years.
It is about 20 feet tall,and flowers very well,but I would like to

reduce
the height.
If I cut into the old wood,will it shoot from the cuts?
Also there are many knobbly 2 inch round 'lumps' formed on lots of the
branches,does anybody know what they could be?
Many thanks

Usual recommendation is to do it by thirds, that is to cut one third of
the branches very hard each year. This will keep it undercontrol, and
also ensure that you have plenty of flowers each year.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk