Old 07-10-2003, 07:42 AM
sw

Default Cambridgeshire weed (unknown to me )

Mick wrote:

I have just seeded a large lawn just out side Cambridge , and have been
swamped with a weed that I need to eradicate .
It grows very quickly and can form a hummock in 3/4 weeks , it has Geranium
type leaves and flowers bluish .
The area that the lawn is in ,has been the corner of a neglected farm field
, I applied Roundup on 3 occasions before seeding ,
but the amount of weed seed must be tremendous . I aim to give a diluted
dose of selective this autumn , and some more when established .
I,m from the north east and have not encountered this one before , i,m
curious , and do not want to appear dumb asking the locals .

A geranium leaf and blue flowers in what was once a field could be
_Geranium pratense_, a rather attractive wildflower. If it is, you could
have other nice things in there as well... you wouldn't care to
contemplate a bit of wildflower meadow, would you? Doesn't need much
mowing, gives you a warm fuzzy feeling for being kind to wildlife,
preserves native wildflowers, and so forth.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.