Old 06-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Mick

Default Cambridgeshire weed (unknown to me )

I have just seeded a large lawn just out side Cambridge , and have been
swamped with a weed that I need to eradicate .
It grows very quickly and can form a hummock in 3/4 weeks , it has Geranium
type leaves and flowers bluish .
The area that the lawn is in ,has been the corner of a neglected farm field
, I applied Roundup on 3 occasions before seeding ,
but the amount of weed seed must be tremendous . I aim to give a diluted
dose of selective this autumn , and some more when established .
I,m from the north east and have not encountered this one before , i,m
curious , and do not want to appear dumb asking the locals .
Thanks all for previous answers .

Mike

Old 06-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mick" wrote in message
I have just seeded a large lawn just out side Cambridge , and have been
swamped with a weed that I need to eradicate .
It grows very quickly and can form a hummock in 3/4 weeks , it has

Geranium
type leaves and flowers bluish .
The area that the lawn is in ,has been the corner of a neglected farm

field
, I applied Roundup on 3 occasions before seeding ,
but the amount of weed seed must be tremendous . I aim to give a diluted
dose of selective this autumn , and some more when established .
I,m from the north east and have not encountered this one before , i,m
curious , and do not want to appear dumb asking the locals .

Being ignorant of this or that piece of knowledge is not being dumb. If I
were you I would ask one of the locals what they call it. You could
subsequently post here to find out what other, if any, name the urglers
attach to it.

Franz

Old 07-10-2003, 07:42 AM
sw

Mick wrote:

I have just seeded a large lawn just out side Cambridge , and have been
swamped with a weed that I need to eradicate .
It grows very quickly and can form a hummock in 3/4 weeks , it has Geranium
type leaves and flowers bluish .
The area that the lawn is in ,has been the corner of a neglected farm field
, I applied Roundup on 3 occasions before seeding ,
but the amount of weed seed must be tremendous . I aim to give a diluted
dose of selective this autumn , and some more when established .
I,m from the north east and have not encountered this one before , i,m
curious , and do not want to appear dumb asking the locals .

A geranium leaf and blue flowers in what was once a field could be
_Geranium pratense_, a rather attractive wildflower. If it is, you could
have other nice things in there as well... you wouldn't care to
contemplate a bit of wildflower meadow, would you? Doesn't need much
mowing, gives you a warm fuzzy feeling for being kind to wildlife,
preserves native wildflowers, and so forth.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:42 AM
David Hill

wouldn't use a selective weed killer when the grass is so young.
Mowing will remove almost all of the weed, and if you still have any left
then spray in the spring.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Mick writes
I have just seeded a large lawn just out side Cambridge , and have been
swamped with a weed that I need to eradicate .
It grows very quickly and can form a hummock in 3/4 weeks , it has Geranium
type leaves and flowers bluish .

If not one of the wild cranesbill species (G. pratense is the one with
obviously blue flowers), or a naturalised species, it could be one of
the weedy mallows (for photographs see sig.) which have leaves that can
be mistaken for cranesbill leaves on a cursory glance.

A hummock-forming habit sounds more like Geranium than Malva.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvace...a/gallery.html

Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Mick

Sounds a great idea , the only snag is the Development / Barn conversion i,m
working on expect a table top lawn .
We will get there in the end . Mike.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:22 PM
David Hill

"............ but the amount of weed seed must be tremendous
................."

Remember the old adage,
"One years seeding ....7 years weeding"
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 AM
sw

Mick wrote:

"sw" wrote in message

[-]

A geranium leaf and blue flowers in what was once a field could be
_Geranium pratense_, a rather attractive wildflower. If it is, you could
have other nice things in there as well... you wouldn't care to
contemplate a bit of wildflower meadow, would you? Doesn't need much
mowing, gives you a warm fuzzy feeling for being kind to wildlife,
preserves native wildflowers, and so forth.

Sounds a great idea , the only snag is the Development / Barn conversion i,m
working on expect a table top lawn .
We will get there in the end . Mike.

Try to convince them of the value of a bit of wildflower meadow, or at
least ask them! I've got local G. pratense in the garden -- it's
stunningly beautiful in bloom. They could have cowslips, too, and
knapweed. Truly beautiful, and good for the environment.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.